Honors in Action, a Way to Move Forward

by Caroline Wong

Expectations. Deadlines. Pressure. We all know these three words. As students, once life starts rolling in our consciousness, we start rolling too. We make commitments, we might go to school, have classes, work, or even a family life to preserve. We sometimes have too many things on our mind. It is hard, but it is good. It is good if you know how to surpass the difficulties leading you to fail. In fact, learning how to balance everything, putting priorities first, is good.

From the day I started to go to College in the US, I started to learn how to manage my time better. My nature isn’t to be an organized person who is on top of everything, but I still try and will continue to try and execute this until the moon reaches the sun which I hope will never happen. One thing that motivates me to “dare to do more” and to become the manager of my own life and duties everyday is my community at LaGuardia. In fact, being part of the Alpha Theta Phi chapter of Phi Theta Kappa made me realize how much I can bring, and how much I can do to impact my environment. Once I had this viewpoint, I started to be willing to move into action and show to the public that my words weren't just words, but transformed into action. After being a member for a semester, I applied to be part of the officers team of this Honor Society. After votes and discussions between the chosen officers, I started to be in charge of all the Programming and Events occurring this year in our chapter.

After that, during Summer, I was meeting with the officers and some members on a weekly basis for a pretty big project we were and are still constructing little by little called the Honors in Action (HIA) project. It gives us the opportunity to work/collaborate with a team, to go to a conference in another city of the State where we will meet other chapters as well as having professionals who would give us tips and training on how to manage this project. This project also allows us to host a special event dedicated for the HIA project each year and to present our final project at the PTK NY regional Spring Convention where we will be able to earn prizes for our work and be recognized for it.

The Honors in Action project and other commitments we took on are teaching us about life and ways to move forward. If I should think for a bit about what the HIA project taught me so far, I would say the following: to trust the team I work with and be confident regarding what they are capable of sharing, to respect other people’s ideas, to enjoy each moment I get to spend with the members from the team as well as other individuals I might meet during the process. We can learn so much from anything we experience and each experience is so unique. I believe that even though we might be having a full schedule, we still can manage it. Life isn't hard if we do not see is as being hard. I find it exciting and inspiring but also tiring if I would start being afraid of saying no to new commitments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?