Becoming a PTK officer in 2013

          
My name is Ross Adler. I was born in Washington D.C. and spent most of my childhood and teenage years in the Philippines. Upon coming back to the States (in Texas) after graduating high school, I realized that my passion lies in politics and history so I decided to go to college and hopefully pursue a degree in political science. When I moved to New York City, I decided to enroll in LaGuardia Community College.
In 2013 after a few months of being continually active, I was appointed as a media officer for Phi Theta Kappa. I’ve always wanted to have a leadership role since I enrolled in LaGuardia Community College because I know that it’ll open up new opportunities and benefit me in the long run. When I was offered the position, I grabbed it almost immediately.
            At first, it was challenging to adjust to the loaded schedule. On top of full time coursework, I had to make sure that I constantly updated the official PTK Facebook and blog, I had to make sure that I had flyers and posters for events made and printed out on time, and I had to make a presentation for one of our general meetings (among other responsibilities). I slowly learned to juggle my work and manage my time. Procrastination has always been an issue for me but having a steady flow of responsibilities helped me realize that it is unacceptable and is something that I need to overcome.
            All in all, becoming an officer was one of the best things that happened to me in 2013. I became more responsible about the work that was given me, my network of advisors, professors, and peers in school greatly expanded, and I felt that I was actually making a difference in the lives of other people through every little work that I do for PTK. I still have about half a year to improve myself in this position and I am excited for the possibilities that lie ahead of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?