The Benefits of Alpha Theta Phi

By Ackeem Nugent

When I accepted the invitation to join Phi Theta Kappa I was so excited to be apart of an invite only honor society. I felt I finally found a group of people I can have stimulating and intellectual conversations with. In the beginning of the spring 2015 semester I never thought I would run for an officer position. I wanted to be a part of LaGuardia’s campus community. When I enrolled at LaGuardia I felt I didn’t really know anyone and had no idea about what was currently happening on campus. When I was provided the opportunity to run for an officer position as vice president, I decided to give it a shot. I was interested in running for an officer position because I thought it would help to shape and provide guidance for me to grow into a well- rounded individual. I also wanted to develop my public speaking and leadership skills.

Coming into the officer position was interesting; the previous officer team didn’t really train me for what I was about to do for the upcoming semester. Not having the guidance I needed, it encouraged me to reach out to my advisors looking for advice for the active steps I should be taking. It was at this moment I learned my first new skill and it ultimately was a huge benefit. I was transitioning into the new officer position as president of Phi Theta Kappa and the simple task of reaching out to someone helped me grow because now I’m not afraid to ask for help when I need it. When I enrolled in my first semester at LaGuardia I was shy and never asked my professors about their office hours or tutoring assistance. During one of the math classes I took, I never asked my professor if tutoring or extra credit was available that could help to bring up my class average. As a result, my class GPA suffered since I did not reach out for help.

As an officer you have to always have to effectively collaborate with your team. You have to be in constant communication of what’s going on. Sometimes we all get a busy and hectic with midterms or finals week. However what allows us to manage the stress of the heavy course work is the ability to ask for help when we need it. Being on an officer team you constantly have to delegate projects to one another to accomplish the goal. Alpha Theta Phi continues to teach me new life lessons every day. Just when you think you learned it all and have a good understanding of who you are, Phi Theta Kappa proves that there is more you can learn in different areas. Phi Theta Kappa is a great honors society to join that helps members grow into a well-rounded individuals.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?

Art and Propaganda