Beginning of a Great Educational Opportunity

by Mohamad A. Hageko

As a transfer student at LaGuardia, I see that the college exudes a sense of what New York City really is — a melting pot. This is what I enjoy most about continuing my education at LaGuardia Community College; the school personifies the notion of this great melting pot. I was motivated to continue my studies around the sciences since I have taken several courses that revolve around psychology and the sciences during my undergrad studies. After I transferred and took a few courses, I was invited to join the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society and I had to ask asking myself if I have the time? Do I have what it takes? But like most things in life, I believed it was best to take the chance. Phi Theta Kappa is an international organization that exemplifies prestige and accomplishment. If I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa, I will have opportunities to excel in many ways such as professional development and educational development. If I take advantage of these opportunities, I will become a better student and able to excel in a group effort with my fellow PTK members. It is a great feeling to know that I can make a difference!

Since I am the first in my family to attain a college degree, it is important that I continue to excel. Through hard work I can make a difference for me, those around me, and the future. I have always valued education and I aspire to be an educator. By joining PTK, I will gain leadership skills and learn to create a positive atmosphere around myself and others. It is important that I take this role seriously since I will also influence and pass what I know to others who are in the same position as me or even students that interested to join this great honors society—or those interested in our campaigns/projects we are valiantly working on.

When I attended my first PTK meeting, I was introduced to the current project being worked on, the Honors in Action (HIA) project. This project is important because the topic is war and peace — this is highly relevant to current events. The current HIA project we are working on is the media and its portrayal of global events. With the continual global conflict, this is a good way to unite students and get them involved in our community in a positive educational atmosphere. The PTK meetings are a collaborative effort, where we brainstorm, get everyone involved, and encourage everyone to offer their input and feedback. I enjoyed this because we work together to create a culminating event for this project. For example, at my first meeting we came up with the name for the HIA event to begin advertising and marketing. This was also a great collaborative effort that has all members involved which I enjoyed! 

My goal in joining PTK is to make a difference and bring new ideas to the table that will generate an enriching and informative atmosphere for everyone around me. I would like to take advantage of the benefits of PTK membership, which includes scholarships, great opportunities to network and lastly, through my efforts and fellow PTK members we will be able to continue a productive and ever lasting impression for us and the college that gives myself and others this great opportunity. I am looking forward to this great phase in my educational career. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?