The Benefits of the PTK Honor Society

by Alex Berg

The benefit of PTK that I'm most looking forward to is the fellowship, and being part of a group of people who have gotten to a point where they take school seriously. It has taken some work personally before I could get to a point where I take school seriously, and I think that having to work just to get to that point has given it a deep value for me. I haven't noticed it in my peers either until I went to a PTK meeting.

I'm 32 now and growing up not much emphasis was placed on education. My dad didn't finish college and my mom didn't finish high school, hence I didn't gravitate towards people who placed a high personal value on education. But going to a PTK meeting exposed me to people who do, and the HIA group I attended was quite personable and inclusive of me even though it was my first meeting and I didn't know anyone. The HIA group was organizing a panel with professionals to discuss religion and media and rather than being daunted by a task the students were supportive and helpful with each other and happy to reach a goal, unlike most classes I attend where students avoid being called on and choose to be daunted by the tasks assigned. I'm not saying classes aren't a lot of work and people lead busy lives, but rather the students I met in HIA had a noticeably different attitude towards school work than the average student I meet in my classes, and that attitude can make a big difference. Also by succeeding recently in school and getting good grades, unlike when I was younger, I have a higher self-esteem. It's a documented thing that I can point to or think of and say "I did this well, I can do other things well". Being around other students that share that attitude and feeling helps to keep it going and lead to more success. I'm happier than words can say that I've been accepted into PTK.

One thing I've always been lacking was a strong direction, and the people in PTK have that and give it freely to those who seek it by striving for excellence in school work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?