The Importance of Research

by Mary Naughton

Doing research on our H.I.A. topic has led to a lot of interesting information. I have found it particularly interesting with regards to the way the media reports the news. There can be so many conflicting viewpoints concerning the same piece of information. Some perspectives are reflective of the person or news stations’ beliefs, and this is where you can see differences in reporting occurring. The more I researched this topic, I began seeing it everywhere. I read a book that focuses on our unconscious minds and I found that it explains biases. In some way or another, biases occur with everyone in an in-group versus out-group thought process. It is more deeply ingrained than many of us realize, and it isn’t limited to how we view someone else’s culture, background, or beliefs. It is the way we view anyone that falls into the “other” category of the way we identify. For instance, as a New Yorker, we would consider other New Yorkers as part of our in-group. Compared to the out-group, which in this instance, would be anyone from another state. This, often unconsciously, puts us in a position which views anyone who is part of our same in-group more favorably than someone who does not.

The importance of this is being aware of it. If we are consciously aware than we can strive for objectivity when we receive or share information. The best possible outcome, would be to hear from all sides and perspectives to get a better understanding of the situation. The research aspect of the H.I.A. project, will help me to seek out proper scholarly articles. Also, I find it easier to skim through various articles and publications to find the most meaningful selections, which will aid in the project. While, the internet makes finding information so much easier, it can also overwhelm you with results, many of which are likely unrelated to your needs. The benefit of knowing how to filter your search and sort based on your current needs is crucial. Working on this H.I.A. project has done just that for me. The experience I have gained in research, will be greatly beneficial as I select and finalize my choices for which college I plan to continue to. This is another example of an influx of potentially overwhelming information, but I can take what I know I want in a college and set my own criteria. From these criteria, I can match it against potential college choices to find the one best suited to my needs. Also, as to be expected, I will be able to apply what I’ve learned to completing research assignments for future classes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?