A Day to Always Remember: Fall 2018 New York Regional Honors in Action Conference


By Savita Jagrup

Are you someone who questions what else do Phi Theta Kappa offer besides Scholarships and great transfer opportunities? Well I would like to share my experience with all of you that would change that thinking. Phi Theta Kappa has the ability to leave you with an experience that you will always remember. October 12 through 14 the 2018 New York Reginal Convention Honors in Action Conference was held at White Plains. The most rewarding experience PTK members can ever experience is getting very involved and get to go to conferences. We co-hosted the conference with Westchester Community College and it was a privallaged moment to have the opportunity to sit amongst well- known professors, PTK members from different chapters and PTK alumnus. I consider myself very lucky to be a PTK member because I was put in a room that was filled with stories that involves both failures and successes. I was given an opportunity that I never thought would have happened to me. There were special guests such as Shannon B Proctor, Sokunthary Svay and Carol Comer. Each of these speakers were an inspiration and I enjoyed all of their speeches.

My favorite was Sokunthary Svay, she was born in a refugee camp in Thailand shortly after her parents have fled Cambodia. I enjoy Svay a lot because listening to her struggles and the hardships that she has been through to get where she is now is very relatable to myself. I feel very connected to her song and the poems that she recited at the conference. She described that it was not easy for her to overcome difficulties and most importantly she always worked on her passion which was the love for music. Svay expressed her love for music and how she always wanted to do more with her life, she cannot just sit back and not do anything. She even talks about her relationship with her parents being very conservative, it was a very unique relation you can have with your parents. Svay is currently a doctoral student in English at the CUNY graduate center, she is also the recent recipient of the American Opera Projects.

Sokunthary Svay has been through a history that has been very inspirational to me. In addition to all her achievements she stressed that coming from a totally different background and not knowing the language well should not stop you from pursuing an education. Education is one thing that can never be taken away from you. Svay talks about her daughter that she lets her be whoever she wants to be. Speeches like these needs to showcase more because we all have gone through something similar or worst that sometimes we need to hear that noting is impossible. Strive or what you believe in. I have learnt so much from this conference that I would always remember for a life time. I have learnt to always keep going and never stop persevering.
Not only would Svay share her experiences but I think she motivated everyone in that room to believe in themselves. 2018 New York Regional, marks an important moment of Phi Theta Kappa for me. Everything about the convention was amazing and there was no better time than this to have such inspiration speakers to speak at a conference where every chapter can bring home stories that will be remembered for years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?