“My first steps into PTK” by Fatou Kiné Thiam

“My first steps into PTK” by Fatou Kiné Thiam

As a new student at LaGuardia, I was looking for something special that will help me volunteer
and be involved on campus. I also wanted to find a program that helps students grow, acquire knowledge and have lots of sharing and fun. So one day, while browsing on one of the computers at the College Discovery program office, I saw a student wearing a t-shirt with the words “Phi Theta Kappa” and on the back, “Honor Society.” I said, “excuse me what is this on your t-shirt about?” As always I love asking questions and starting conversations and he replied: “Oh, it’s the honor society at Laguardia”. Then I continued, “do you know how can I be a member of it”. He told me what building number to go to and also suggested that I talk to my counselor at the College Discovery about the program and ways of getting in. Right after the end of the discussion, I sent an email to my counselor asking her to put me in contact with the Phi Theta Kappa program.

Attending my first PTK meeting, I was already friendly with members, starting conversations as if I knew them for years. The president asked who wanted to be a chapter officer and I raised my hand right away. He said that there were two choices of volunteering that needed to be done. After he finished talking about the last option for the volunteerism which was to be on a Sunday at a park that was one hour away from the school, I gave my idea and he acknowledged it by saying “right I was not thinking about that. “ Then we all agreed on collecting books and giving them out as a plan to go with.

For me, the Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society is a very important phase in my life. I see myself bonding with all members. I see that the program offers a variety of opportunities which will help me grow, think professionally and critically, get out of my comfort zone and conquer the country with devotion and love. I know that the future is promising but that starts with getting involved in a community such as PTK that will lift you, train you then put you out in the world so you can be the best version of yourself. I can’t wait to be a chapter officer or active member and it feels as if one semester with PTK would be too short a time for me to enjoy. -- Fatou Kiné Thiam, member of the Alpha Theta Phi chapter of Phi Theta Kappa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?

Art and Propaganda