Overcoming Fear


Glossophobia, an anxiety to speak in public was something that I have been battling with since my high school. Even speaking with people, I already know used to get me seriously nervous. Long story short,  public speaking is one of the biggest fears I ever had in my life. However, as every morning rises terminating the darkness of the night with its sunlight, I learned to overcome my phobia through all the experience I had and events I have been to, throughout my life. One of the most significant events that contributed in motivating me to be outspoken would be the New York regional conference.     
In October 19, 2017, I along with my officers’ team and advisors went to the Westchester to participate in the New York regional conference. This conference was collaboratively hosted by the local PTK chapters of LaGuardia community college and Westchester community college. As the officer team of the host chapter, I and my fellow officers were determined to represent our chapter by participating in the conference enthusiastically. Following our determination, every one of us actively participated in the programs held in the conference. For example, we partook in the first ever regional HIA speech contest and demonstrated the work that we did for our HIA project. Although, most of us didn’t made it to the final round, we were proud of our chapter’s president who won the contest. In addition to our participation in the conference, we joined the seminar meetings where we shared our opinion regarding the topics, lectured by the lecturers.
The best part about this event was the motivational speeches I heard from respective intellectuals and the seminar class where I get to meet some new students with whom I was able to establish a strong friendly relationship by the end of the event. Most of the students in my seminar group were very candid and outspoken. Some even talked about the difficulties that they had experienced throughout their life. Watching them sharing their personal experience, without any hesitation, I was motivated to talk about my personal experience. In the beginning, I was nervous but as I kept on sharing my opinion in every meeting, I managed to get rid of the anxiety that I always use to have, while speaking with others. Further, with the confidence that I accomplished through the talks in my seminar meetings, I managed to make some new friend and expand my social circle. I also utilize those new social connections to spread the awareness about LaGuardia Community college and our local chapter (Alpha Theta Phi) and consequently most of them are following our social media sites.
Overall, this conference was fruitful for our entire officer team and our chapter.
    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?