My first Honors in Action meeting by Michael McGuire

My first Honors in Action meeting by Michael McGuire
When it was first presented to me that I was eligible to join the Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, I was intrigued. Never had I been interested in school organizations. Having been out of school for almost a decade - and never really excelling, or even finishing before - I decided to greet this next chapter of my collegiate life with open arms, and look into more what it would mean to be a member of something beyond me.

            Today, I attended my first meeting for Honors In Action. We discussed topics related to how belief systems are structured, and how best to move forward with the chapter's research for the project. I was a somewhat active participant in the conversation around Joy, and what it means to be Joyful in the leading of your life, and how the feeling of Joy connects people across generations, and cultural identities. It was a compelling conversation. And I walked away from it thinking very well that what it means to experience pure Joy doesn't in and of itself transcend life paths, but it is a relatable construct in terms of how a life is lived; that joie de vivre alone isn't what relates us as human beings, but it does represent a person living life to the fullest. Whether that is based on a religious or spiritual nature is, I think, an excellent way to frame the question. Because it doesn't matter in the end if you practice a religion or define yourself in any one way. It is the faith in humanity's overarching goodness, and the ability to look beyond the self when approaching interpersonal relations. As such, communication could very well be the most important part of attaining those relationships, connecting two people beyond their societal restrictions, and joining them in Joyful living. It is a truly persuasive argument.

            Today's meeting aside, I think being a member of Phi Theta Kappa in general will help me to reach my goal of pursuing excellence in thought, as well as academics. I'm trying to treat each new opportunity as a way to grow past where I used to hold myself back. I think Phi Theta Kappa is an incredible opportunity to connect with the student population. I am also, of course, interested in the scholarship opportunities as I have always struggled financially, and being in school full time doesn't allow for enough work to make ends meet. Either way, I am looking forward to what this new school year will bring, and hope Phi Theta Kappa plays a part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morality?

Art and Propaganda

How has technology affected conversation arts, journaling, and formal letter writing and why does it matter?